Skip to main content

Last Long Run Before PGH Half Marathon



Technically, I was supposed to run this long run on Saturday. However, I will be traveling to Tennessee this weekend to see family and didn't want to take away from moments with them. Being away from family can be really hard some days, especially when I get Snapchats and pictures sent of my little niece who will be a year old this Sunday. So instead of ditching my family for ~2 hours on Saturday, I wanted to get it in today. I'll still run this weekend, but not nearly as long.

This was the Snap I got Easter morning from my sister. She's such a happy soul.


I didn't plan my run well. Just as I was about to leave for my run, friends had stopped over. We got to talking, and I ended up starting my run an hour later than I wanted. I did the math, and knew I couldn't do a LSR (long slow run) without being late for my night shift. I still wanted the mileage, so I ran with a moderate pace.

I haven't ran over 10 miles since the Spring Thaw 15 Miler back at the end of February. This was a mentally challenging run. The first 6 miles felt great; I moved right along, letting my body take me and enjoy the sun going down over the Ohio River. But when I turned around to trek 6 miles back, a huge wave of "damnitttttt" hit me. I wanted to just check out and Uber home, shower, and nap before going into work. I looked at the horizon and thought: "Well Crystal, how bad do you want to be ready for the PGH Half? Not ready? Then call Uber. Actually not die during the race? Then do your miles." I have to say, running is far less physically exhausting at this point in life than it is mentally challenging.

Then my knees really felt the burn about an hour into running (7-8 miles in). They usually do this. I've tried different insoles and changing my heel-strike (which I hit midfoot). The only thing that really keeps the pain away is to take Ibuprofen beforehand; obviously I forgot to do that today. I also could attribute the pain to the fact that this is a lot of mileage after a bunch of days off and not running nearly as much in a great while. My hope is to add strengthening exercises to my quads so I can pull the pressure off of my skeletal system and onto my muscles.




Though the temperature wasn't terrible, but it was incredibly humid and  I did not hydrate well throughout the day. Consequently, I went through water pretty quick. Thankfully, I ran out while I was in downtown, and decided to stop at McDonald's and ask for water. I ended up drinking the whole bottle before making it my 5 miles back home. You would think that a little dehydration wouldn't affect your pace THAT much... well mile 8 was almost a whole minute shorter than mile 7. Consider that as a lesson learned.

As I'm processing all of this, I'm starting to realize that I really need to prepare my long run days just like I would prepare for a race day. 12 miles is 12 miles, all should be treated the same.

I finished the 12.02 miles in 1:41:04, which was a 8:26min/mi pace. Overall, I feel this run helped me to mentally prepare for Pittsburgh, as well as remind me of the simple ways in which I need to prepare my body before a run.



Let me know in the comments how you prepare for your long runs!

Comments

  1. Long runs get easier as you go. Promise! I was so ready for my 20 last week I almost went at 2:30am because I was awake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that might be me one day. I actually can't wait for those days!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Motivation: Good Week

But really, isn't every week? Life is what you make it despite the ups and downs we face. Leave whatever struggles and hardships this past week brought you. It's last week, we have to look ahead of us. Ever try looking backwards while running? You're not as focused on going forward. And isn't that why you're running in the first place? So make this week a good week that you can reflect on and be proud of. Welcome the challenges. Crush those goals. Be mindful. Enjoy the little moments. And damnit, smile all the way through.  Have a good week!

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support