Skip to main content

Week Running Recap

HIIIII. I swear I exist! I had the opportunity to travel to Nashville for my little niece, Eliana's 1st birthday. It was such a great time to just be with family and to reminisce on the past year with Ellie in our lives. Therefore, everything was paused for 5 days...



Isn't she perfect????


Working out was definitely on the backburner while I was visiting; I only went to the gym once and it suckkkkkkked. I attempted to do a 30 minute run-walk program.. that ended 15 minutes in. Tried to do some light body work, which took me so incredibly long to finish. And ended with a 15 minute walk again on the beloved dreadmill.

Coming back was emotionally hard for sure, but I did miss running on my home turf. First day I got back, I did an easy 4 miles just to feel my feet hit the ground again. This run really reintegrated me being back home and back into the swing of things. My legs felt a little stiff towards the end, which I expected after hardly moving for 5 days.



That was Tuesday; on Wednesday I went back to work. I missed my kids and loved being back with them. They all asked about my niece and even asked if I had my half-marathon yet (next weekend kids.. don't get ahead of me). I was exhausted after work, so I took a stupid long nap... 4 hours to be exact. My body felt a little more refreshed, and I decided 5 miles would be a good way to move my body and really push myself back into my training mindset. The run was more of a blur, but my legs felt less cramped and my body less "bleh". Plus, I got my first miles in in my new Brooks!


Brooks Launch 4 PGH edition.
LOVEEEE. OBSESSED. CAN'T HELP IT.
I doubled (7am-11pm) the next day. I usually try to schedule myself doubles on rest days so I don't feel as lazy. P.S. I HATEEEE feeling lazy. Hate it.

Friday was another long day of cleaning a house for a lady and then working in the evening. I did have 40 minutes in-between the two 'jobs', and got to take a quick 2 mile stroll in the hilly Settler's Cabin Park. These 2 miles were faster than a lot of my runs have been lately, and really gave me hope that I'm still doing well enough to do a sub-8'30" for the Pittsburgh Half.


Settler's Cabin Park was such a breeze to run through!


And finally, today's long run. I actually didn't anticipate this run at all. However, my roommate asked me to help motivate her for her longest run in 3 years, and of course I would!!! She convinced me to do two things: get up early and run in the rain. I despise running early in the morning and especially during the rain. But we had so much fun! We were able to talk the whole time and finally catch up. You'd think that if I lived with someone that we would always be talking... negative. We are both super busy people that sometimes we go days without seeing each other. I was so grateful to have spent such time with her and really see her push herself to achieve all she did.



Well that's it for the week! 4 solid days of moving my legs after 5 days of being a couch potato (and eating potato chips). How were your weeks??

Good luck and 8 more days until PGH!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support

Starting a blog?! But I'm not a writer...

I'm not great with words. There, I said it. Put me in a college Calculus class or in Biology, I'll do just fine. Put me in an 11th grade English and Writing class... yeah I'll hyperventilate... a lot. However!!! I have a lot to say, and a lot to say about my running journey at that. I'm a full year into falling in love with running all over again, and I felt it was time to just tighten my shoelaces and start writing. I have met so many people from the running community through my Instagram @runningawayfromadulting, and viewing their blogs only brought me closer to desiring to start my own. There's also a character limit on IG, sooooooo... To those who are reading this, I am NOT AN EXPERT and will never claim to be. Blogging for me is a space to vent to whomever wants to listen, to encourage others as they continue their own fitness journeys, to share my triumphs and failures, and so much more. This space will not tolerate negativity, condescending attitudes, or