Skip to main content

Race Recap: EQT 10 Miler





GUYS! If you're in the Pittsburgh area (and run), you have GOT to run this race! It's like the Pittsburgh Marathon of the Fall. There is so much energy and excitement before and during this race; it's electric!

Okay, I'll try to contain myself as I write this.
But really, can you blame me? Just ruining the ending for ya, but...
THIS GIRL GOT A PR!

And the reason I'm extra excited about this? Because I literally just got back into running mid-September. I will make a separate blog post about this transition, but for now, lets talk about the race!




Expo:


The expo was quite small, tucked inside the shops at Station Square. But I did get to finally meet up with my girl Jen and her NEW husband after not seeing her since the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K! I'm so inspired by her and was so excited to finally meet up with her and run.

Jen and I first meeting at the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K



Race Morning:


So my boss texted me at 8:30 the night before asking if I would come in and work night shift. Since I had slept well during the day due to the night shift from the night before, I figured I could handle it. God willing - I stayed awake! It was also a great opportunity to roll, ice, heat, elevate, and compress my knee in preparation.

I went outside shortly before leaving and felt cold! But the weather was supposed to I had NO idea what to wear. They were calling for rain and the temperatures were set to start in the 50s and end in the 60s. I packed a tank and a tee, and ended up with the tank - thinking that I'd rather be a little chilly initially because I end up getting super hot 3 miles in anyway. 

Hydrated - Check!
Stretched - Check!
Clothes - Check!
Pain Reliever - Check!
doTERRA Deep Blue and Breathe on me - Check!
(email me if you have questions/are interested!)
Iced, heated, elevated, rolled, and KT taped - knee somewhat ready to go.



Literally my go-tos for running!
Taped up!




Before the Race:


I headed over near the start line to the meet-up set up by Steff and got to be with so many amazing girls that I am truly grateful to call my friends. Some of us were training for this morning, and some are in the middle of training for other races. Either way, the amount of support within this group of women is incredible.

I didn't end up running with Jen on race morning; she wasn't feeling well and told me to go ahead without her. I trained for 8:00 paces, and so I tucked myself near the 8:00 pace group.


Missing some beauts in this photo :(


Miles 1-8.5:



At the start, I tried to really keep my first mile around 8:00 - which I did spot on according to my Garmin.

The next few miles had hills - some steep, some slowly agonizing. I picked up my pace to combat the hills, and made sure to really be on my toes as I approached the hills.
 I noticed that I was cruising past people at each hill. Actually, I was passing people the whole race with very few people passing me.

I think it was because I was so conscientious about my cadence.
I struggle with cadence; I had to really remind myself to keep faster cadence so that I could keep pace without losing form.

My cadence was much better than previous races, which I believe lead to such success!


Cadence and Elevation analyses.
THOSE HILLS THOUGH!



Pace really moved around, and definitely caught me at mile 8!


One thing that I kept doing throughout the whole race was finding a person ahead of me and trying to either keep pace with them or pass them. Who knows if it was them slowing down or me speeding up, but one by one, I kept picking off people. It pushed me throughout the whole race. 



Miles 8.5-10:

So some of y'all know, but my knee hasn't been the same for the past two weeks. The outside of my left knee has been in some incredible pain while walking, taking on stairs, and running. The pain goes right to the side of the knee, then shoots down my lateral shin, sometimes causing my foot to go numb. 

I know... "Crystal, why did you run a race then?! You should go to the doctor!"
Well, I'm stubborn, RICE-ing it, and taking it easy when I wasn't running.
I also have a left hip impingement - and I never had issues before. I truly believe that my running gait is just being drastically changed by these new orthotics.
I didn't ease into the orthotics like I should have. I'm reaping what I sewed.

Okay, back to the race. I felt my KT tape fall off around 8.5 miles in. I didn't have ANY PAIN AT ALL during the first 8.5 miles, which I am now a huge believer in KT Tape and will be using it for the next forever if I ever get some sort of pain. But as it was falling off, I felt the pain rush in. I was so close to the end, I refused to stop. If anything, it pushed me further so I would finish sooner. We were in the Strip District by then, and so elevation wasn't a huge factor anymore.

I remembered that if I keep my focus away from the pain, then I won't be as affected. So all I thought about for the last mile and a half was the finish line. I kept peaking at my watch and saw my pace; I fought to keep below a 7:40. Mile 8 did me dirty, but as you can see, I pushed for what I could.




The Final Push:

The straightaway down Penn Ave is deceiving. I saw the finish, and pushed.

This is your last moment Crystal. Give it all you got. 

I cherry-picked one by one and pushed to pass them. Then a guy in neon green tried to keep up with me. Before I knew it, we were literally racing each other. He ended up beating me.. the smart guy pulled back a hot second just to completely fly into the finish line. GO HIM!

I finished! I exceeded far beyond my expectations for this race.
Official Time: 1:16:56





Post-Race:

It literally started to rain just as I finished the race.
I went to the medical tent because at this point, my knee was swelling... and bad. They examined my knee and said nothing was torn, but I definitely needed to lay off and ice it. They package-wrapped my knee with ice, and I limped my way to the buses to head back to my car.



This race was something incredible. I enjoyed every hill, turn, and cheerleader along the way. The water station people were great, and I can't wait to run it again next year. 

For now, I'll be resting and working on strengthening in preparation for winter/spring race season!
All about that BASE (cute Megan Trainor)




Comments

  1. You did great! Congrats on that PR. Now rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you, lady! You were smart and controlled in the front half and gave it all you had in the second half. Here's to rest and rehab! You'll come back so much stronger after this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support