Skip to main content

Tips on Running in the Cold

Wearing a single sweat-wicking/fleece Nike layer, running tights, and headband for warmth.


So Pittsburgh's weather is weird. In the beginning of November and I was still in a tank top and shorts. Not even a week later, and I'm scurrying around looking for gloves and scarves. With the cold coming in, I've decided to put out some tips that I use to stay warm while also continuing to run outdoors.


Dress Less
Many websites like this one, suggest dressing for 15-20 degrees warmer. I love being comfortable, but it's so easy to overdress while running in the cold. With the added layers though, we are blocking the excessive heat and sweat from leaving our bodies - and overheating is not good! Yes, you'll be a little cold initially, but you'll thank yourself when you're not wrapping your coat and other 4 layers around your waist with 10 more miles to go.

But Not Too Less!
Anyone else part of the Cold Hands and Feet Club?! Even if you're not, your extremities are the first to lose heat. Wool running socks are a must! Compression socks also are helpful in terms of giving your calves an extra layer. And I don't know how many other people do this, but I've definitely worn two layers of socks (compression first, then wool) on those especially bitter cold days (just be mindful of your shoes not feeling too tight). Gloves are also super important - sometimes I also have those Hot Hands. There are "running gloves" out there, but I honestly just use the cheap $1 pair.
Oh! And don't forget about your ears!

Dress Strategically
For the first layer, I stick to having sweat-wicking clothes. When I feel I need a second layer, I usually shoot for a wind-breaking jacket. But if its even colder, I sandwich a fleece in the middle of the first two - adding insulation.

Traction to Stay on Track(tion) with Training
If you're ever worried that you could encounter ice or snow and risk slipping, get some sort of traction on your shoes like Yak Tracks. Being careful of how you foot-strike to avoid slipping can really hurt your form, and slipping is obviously not good. Be safe!!!

Assess the Time of Day
If possible, run in the daytime when the weather is warmest. Daytime running reduces the hazards that running in the dark does. And we gotta get that Vitamin D (sunshine) in to help the Calcium make our bones strong!

Be Seen
Anyone else mad that you're just getting home from work or school and you only have like 30 minutes of sunshine left? If you are getting stuck running in the dark, then please please PLEASE be seen and be able to see! Consider reflective gear, a headlamp, clipping strobe lights on your clothes, or even carrying a flashlight. And please, don't run where you don't feel safe or run with a buddy.

JUST PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(excessive on the ! much?.. I think not)


There's plenty of other tips to keep up with running in the cold, but I hope these few will help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Motivation: Good Week

But really, isn't every week? Life is what you make it despite the ups and downs we face. Leave whatever struggles and hardships this past week brought you. It's last week, we have to look ahead of us. Ever try looking backwards while running? You're not as focused on going forward. And isn't that why you're running in the first place? So make this week a good week that you can reflect on and be proud of. Welcome the challenges. Crush those goals. Be mindful. Enjoy the little moments. And damnit, smile all the way through.  Have a good week!

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

Starting a blog?! But I'm not a writer...

I'm not great with words. There, I said it. Put me in a college Calculus class or in Biology, I'll do just fine. Put me in an 11th grade English and Writing class... yeah I'll hyperventilate... a lot. However!!! I have a lot to say, and a lot to say about my running journey at that. I'm a full year into falling in love with running all over again, and I felt it was time to just tighten my shoelaces and start writing. I have met so many people from the running community through my Instagram @runningawayfromadulting, and viewing their blogs only brought me closer to desiring to start my own. There's also a character limit on IG, sooooooo... To those who are reading this, I am NOT AN EXPERT and will never claim to be. Blogging for me is a space to vent to whomever wants to listen, to encourage others as they continue their own fitness journeys, to share my triumphs and failures, and so much more. This space will not tolerate negativity, condescending attitudes, or