Skip to main content

Week 9 Training Recap




You know how when you get on the bike at the gym, and you can choose that "mountain" option for inclines? So for the first half of the cycle, you'd go uphill, then ride easier downhill for the second half?


Marathon training is not like that.


And with the humidity we've been having here in PGH, it's as if I'm climbing up the mountain even steeper than before.

My legs were definitely hungover from last weekend's half marathon up at Presque Isle. Monday's rest day, aka: the days that I double at work, was incredible; I pretty much stayed seated unless absolutely necessary or to stretch my tired legs. I made sure I was taking in enough protein and electrolytes to help my legs recover as best as possible. 



Presque Isle Half Marathon




Here's how this last week's running went:



Tuesday: 4 Easy/Recovery Miles. 9:10 avg pace. I had a super busy day off of doctors appointments, errands, meetings, and meeting up with friends for the Runner's Night at PNC Park. As much as I wanted to sleep in, I dragged my bum out early-ish and took to my normal route. I didn't care about my splits being negative or staying within a certain range... this was run just to put my legs back on the road.


Pace Shmace...



Wednesday: 8 Mile Repeats. 1 Mile Warm Up, 4 x 1 Mile Repeats at 10K pace with 0.5 Mile Recovery. This did not completely happen. First off, I only did 7.8 miles. Secondly, I cut the fourth mile repeat short, because it was so hot and humid that I was struggling to breathe. You know its bad outside when you're gasping for breath even after you've finished running. And third, I was not anywhere near my target 10K pace.



Lap 7 I didn't realize I had already ran .5, and then died anyway at Lap 8




Thursday: Rest Day. But really, it means that I doubled 7am-11pm.


Friday:  7 Miles with 4 at Goal Marathon Pace. I definitely did my GMP too fast. I stayed within :10 seconds for the four miles, but :10 too fast. I decided to venture down the Great Allegheny Passage to capture as much shade possible. My clothes were still drenched as heck though from the humidity. But after my run and before work, I sent my bike I recently acquired to get worked on. So hopefully soon I can start adding that to my training! ... ok actually I shouldn't do that because I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years and will probably fall off and hurt myself.


did the .08 to the GAP head where I wouldn't be around any traffic




Saturday: 5 Easy Miles. 9:56 avg pace. I had to take my car to get tuned up (Betty's about to hit 150K), and I go to an amazing shop right at Frick Park. I always go for runs while I wait for my car to be done - my mechanic laughs every time. I figured I could do my easy miles on the trails. Ha. Ha. I actually was supposed to only do 4 that day, but I didn't route it well and ended up having to do an extra mile just to get back to the shop. That last mile was taken much slower though! I also was not prepared for the hills I came across. I usually do easy days at 9:00 pace, but with the hills, that was wayyyyy out the door. I didn't push myself though because it is meant to be "easy". What is easy though when you're running? Easy for me is just staying in bed.


Hills will be the death of me...




Sunday: 14 Miles. 8:50 avg pace. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD MAKE THE HEAT STOP. I swear I have gills at this point with breathing in all the humidity. I woke up feeling like someone put poison in my stomach, but promised myself to at least try to manage some mileage. Fleet Feet Pittsburgh had a meet up at North Park, which was small, but really nice to meet new faces! I started running with a couple other people doing between an 8:30-9:00 pace. I had to ditch the one woman I was talking to because she was going way too fast for what I planned... which was 8:50-9:00. I managed to do fairly well with staying on pace, and caught up with one of my great friends Toni. But once I stopped for water, I started shutting down. My stomach went upside down. I told Toni to go on without me while I walked it out. From then on, I seemed to be stopping so frequently just to stay somewhat cool and without throwing up. As much as I could have hated myself for stopping so much, I still finished and with the weather how its been, that's all I can ask of myself.



More consistent paces with each week!



Week 9 Complete:
37.9 miles - 5:35:44




Who else is getting beat down by the heat?

Comments

  1. Great week friend! Remember, summer training makes fall PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did awesome this week! And Steff is right - it does make fall PRs. You're gonna crush it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bleach Vs Naruto, one of the most famous fighting games in the world, has a new update to you! In this version of Bleach Vs Naruto 3.0 which is the same as the other updates, you will fight against maintaining SonnatTAT.
    Bleach Vs In Naruto 3.0, we hope you have a good time with good fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support

Race Recap: EQT 10 Miler

GUYS! If you're in the Pittsburgh area (and run), you have GOT to run this race! It's like the Pittsburgh Marathon of the Fall. There is so much energy and excitement before and during this race; it's electric! Okay, I'll try to contain myself as I write this. But really, can you blame me? Just ruining the ending for ya, but... THIS GIRL GOT A PR! And the reason I'm extra excited about this? Because I literally just got back into running mid-September. I will make a separate blog post about this transition, but for now, lets talk about the race! Expo: The expo was quite small, tucked inside the shops at Station Square. But I did get to finally meet up with my girl Jen and her NEW husband after not seeing her since the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K! I'm so inspired by her and was so excited to finally meet up with her and run. Jen and I first meeting at the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K Race Morning: So my boss texted m