Skip to main content

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training




My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018.

I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops.

As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season.



1. Always Check the Weather

I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either.

... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people...

It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, then move some runs around. I'm not suggesting you put your LSR on a Tuesday if you just ran one on Sunday, but if you can just move it from Saturday to Sunday to avoid a +2 hour torrential downpour, then by all means, do it.




2. Hydrate

So many sources say you don't need to hydrate if you're running for less than an hour. However, after you've checked the weather for when you are running and see that it's going to be unbearably hot and humid, it wouldn't hurt to keep 10oz or so on you on those shorter runs. You definitely need more water for those longer runs, and I would even go so far to suggest having drinks with electrolytes on those longer days just because you will lose so much in your sweat. I can't imagine being miles away from my starting point and feeling dizzy or cramping up horribly and having to walk all that way back.

Hydration is also key for the other hours of the day that you aren't running. Your body is 80% water, you need water (and so many other things) to keep your body at prime homeostasis so you can be that awesome runner out there in the heat. I personally aim for 100oz a day, but I know I have friends out there who struggle to even take in 50. My advice: monitor your water intake and set yourself a reasonable goal. Also, find a method that helps you take in water. I found that I drink more when I have a cup with a straw. You can set yourself a reminder if you have to!




3. Know Your Paces

Being totally transparent, I didn't know my paces. I just ran and ran and ran. Always going for time and somehow not completely hurting myself. NOT GOOD. Especially for the summer. I'm almost positive that if I kept running the ways that I did, then I would have either ended up in a huge injury or passed out while running.

A great friend showed me Jack Daniels VDOT Calculator to where I put in my most recent 5K and Half Marathon paces, and it spit out at me paces that I need to do during my training. These are slower than I usually run, and it'll probably devastate me at first that I'm not running fast. But these are paces that are meant to keep my body healthy and in good heart zones. This will also be especially helpful for the summer heat!



4. Wear the Right Stuff!

I used to hate wearing hats, but after my first sunny run with a hat on, I was a lover! Don't wear normal linen hats; wear ones that are meant for sports. They're usually lighter and more breathable. Visors are also great because they leave the top of your head to exert the extra heat (but make sure your scalp is SPF protected!)

On the topic of sunscreen, WEAR IT! I used to hate wearing it, but one of the last things you want is to be sunburnt and chafing and getting sick from the sunburn. They make sweat-proof sunscreen, and if you're going out on a really long run, it wouldn't hurt to have a little mini-bottle of it on your hip - you will sweat it off.

If you're running during the day, wear the proper clothes too. Sweat-wicking clothing will be your friend. Chaffers know that cotton is OUT of bounds.

Although the tan lines aren't always pretty, if you run better with compression socks, wear them! You'd probably rather be able to toe the start line than to be out of running but with a good tan.




5. LISTEN TO YO BODYYYY!

This is a sport that is about mental endurance almost just as much (if not more than) physical endurance. However, when you need to stop, you need to stop. Your body is going through hell right now. If you feel dizzy, overheated, seeing black spots, or just like something isn't right... its okay to stop! Analyze why you may be feeling this way and troubleshoot for next time. If you don't, your 'next time' may be weeks after recovering from a serious injury or full-body exhaustion.




I hope some of these help y'all!

Let me know in the comments how you stay healthy and running despite the warm temperatures!

Comments

  1. Yes! Perfect tips. I'm one of those crazy love to run in the heat people so I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I like your tip about looking at the forecast a few days out so that you can change your priority workouts to different days if you need to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support

Race Recap: EQT 10 Miler

GUYS! If you're in the Pittsburgh area (and run), you have GOT to run this race! It's like the Pittsburgh Marathon of the Fall. There is so much energy and excitement before and during this race; it's electric! Okay, I'll try to contain myself as I write this. But really, can you blame me? Just ruining the ending for ya, but... THIS GIRL GOT A PR! And the reason I'm extra excited about this? Because I literally just got back into running mid-September. I will make a separate blog post about this transition, but for now, lets talk about the race! Expo: The expo was quite small, tucked inside the shops at Station Square. But I did get to finally meet up with my girl Jen and her NEW husband after not seeing her since the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K! I'm so inspired by her and was so excited to finally meet up with her and run. Jen and I first meeting at the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K Race Morning: So my boss texted m