Skip to main content

HOF Marathon Training: 3 of 16





I am forever grateful for the ability to breathe and hold myself upright.

That flu was NASTY.

Now that I'm healthy, it's back to training.




Monday: 10 min Abs and 20 min HIIT

I was trying my best to feel better, and didn't want to get out and run in case my cough came back full-blown, so I just hung out in my room and did a couple workouts with my favorite YouTube account, Fitness Blender.





Tuesday: Progression Run



I was actually supposed to do a Track Workout, but being my first day back into running and still battling a cough, I didn't want to push it too much. So instead, I calculated the approximate mileage that my track run would have ended me with, and did Progression Miles instead.
Progressions are great ways to train your body to go the distance and finish strong! I used to NEVER negative split, and now, I feel sorta defeated when I don't negative split, or at least maintain paces within 10-15seconds of each other.

This felt strong though. I was able to get my cadence higher and keep running with my butt. Also was super surprised how much better I felt than anticipated. TAKE THAT FLU!





 Wednesday: Rowing and Strength





I went to the gym for only a moment before the snow/mix started falling. One of my Cross Training workouts was:

ROWING

5 min easy
10 min tempo
10 min easy

HOLY HANNAH were my back/shoulders and butt on fire by the time I left. I've come to enjoy these achy workouts though because it works my body in ways that running doesn't, and also helps me be to become a stronger and faster runner.


Thursday: Rest Day





I was able to catch up with my boyfriend's coworkers, one of them being a great mutual friend of ours who set us up, and then hang out with some of the girls from work for late night Mad Mex.

... I'm pretty sure all I ate and drank that day was Mexican food and tequila...
oops.


Friday: Tempo Run




1mi Warm Up
5mi @ 7:45ish pace
1mi Cool Down

I was exhausted after an early clinical morning. But the weather was BEAUTIFUL for a run. I got to just let my feet go, work on keeping with running with my butt, and work on my cadence. My cadence used to be in the 160s-low 170s. Now it's creeping higher into the 180s and even 190s at times!! Boom!


Saturday: Rest Day

I was supposed to do a cross train today, but I was a mad woman running around the house cleaning and reorganizing once I woke up from night shift. 

And though this is no way to say that I did a full cross train, but daggum, >10K steps in a day, up and down stairs all day, lifting boxes and such... that counts for something, right?

Saturday Night Vibes:




Sunday: Long Run




14 @ 8:45 Pace


YASSSSSSSS. 


That is all. This run ROCKED (lol, how old am I?). The first mile felt like I was still asleep, but once I got going, I flew! I didn't actually plan out my run, I just kinda had an idea of what distances certain parts of the city were; it was nice to just go around and enjoy the beautiful afternoon.

I did go faster than was in my training plan. I went faster when there was downhills  (this was unintentional at first), was also trying to keep good cadence (which has me running faster), and also was checking my HR and not seeing crazy spikes.

I can't even tell you the songs I was listening to because I was so hyperfocused on A) where I was at and B) my form/breath/HR/etc.

I know we have prescribed paces for a reason, and will make more efforts to keep closer to the set pace in the future, but this run showed me that I am strong

(ps. I ran into some deer too on my run!)






Thankful for a week like this one, and hope for many more in the rest of my journey to HOF Marathon!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support

Week 9 Training Recap

You know how when you get on the bike at the gym, and you can choose that "mountain" option for inclines? So for the first half of the cycle, you'd go uphill, then ride easier downhill for the second half? Marathon training is not like that. And with the humidity we've been having here in PGH, it's as if I'm climbing up the mountain even steeper than before. My legs were definitely hungover from last weekend's half marathon up at Presque Isle. Monday's rest day, aka: the days that I double at work, was incredible; I pretty much stayed seated unless absolutely necessary or to stretch my tired legs. I made sure I was taking in enough protein and electrolytes to help my legs recover as best as possible.  Presque Isle Half Marathon Here's how this last week's running went: Tuesday: 4 Easy/Recovery Miles. 9:10 avg pace. I had a super busy day off of doctors appointments, errands, meetings, and meeting up with fri