Skip to main content

5 Physical Commandments of Race Week

I've compiled 5 commandments I strive to live by throughout training, but especially on race week! These are just 5 of many other great tidbits of advice to live by as we prepare to test our body's capabilities.


Thou Shall Eat a Healthy Balanced Diet that You Should've Been Doing All Along
  • If you didn't eat it during the last 12-16 weeks while you were training, DON'T TRY IT THIS WEEK. I don't eat a lot of potatoes or bread, I'm not going to carb-load with it this week. Though they shouldn't be labeled as 'unhealthy', they are not what my body is used to digesting and can really turn my stomach upside down come mile 10.
  • Don't overeat or undereat. Though carb-loading is a thing, it does not mean stuff your face like you do on Thanksgiving! You're going to have a brick sitting in your insides and you will feel it while running. On the other side, just because it is taper week, doesn't mean you should eat less. This is a chance for your body to recover - which includes nourishing your body!

Thou Shall Stretch, Roll, and Move
  • Taper is taper for a reason - this isn't the week to move your body like the craziness you've put it in for the last few weeks. However, you need to move! Take a walk, do some yoga (good stretching there too!), clean your house - just move your body.
  • Your muscles are also tired and probably thanking you for this week - little does it know that you're preparing it for a huge test! This is a chance for you to really stretch and roll out those muscles that have been through torture. Treat your body right, and it will treat you right come race morning.
Thou Shall Hydrate
  • Our bodies are 80% water - we need to keep it that way before loads of problems come.
  • We can lose significant amounts of water when we exercise; we need to replenish that!
  • Let's face it, we put a lot of pressure on our joints. When we are dehydrated, we weaken our cartilage and it dampers on our joints' abilities to repair which then leads to pain.
  • Dehydration is a prime cause to people's headaches - DRINK WATER SO YOU CAN RUN WITHOUT A HEADACHE!
  • When we're even a little dehydrated, our whole body suffers which hinders our performance. No thank you!
  • Throughout my training I aim to drink 100oz of water a day; this does not include any coffee, tea, or pop I may drink. Yes, you will pee... A LOT!

Thou Shall Make Sure One is Taking in Electrolytes
  • Whether is Gatorade or Nuun or Pedialyte,, take in your electrolytes!
  • Drinking water is great! But lots of water in combination with exercise can dilute our body of our essential electrolytes like sodium, magnesium, and calcium.
  • Imbalances can lead to some serious problems - especially race day when you're sweating out everything in you.

Thou Shall Rest
  • I personally struggle with this commandment.
  • Our bodies have worked so hard for this moment and have probably lost a little sleep. With tapering and spending less time outside running, take this as an opportunity to rest. Let your muscles recover and strengthen.
  • Rest days are just as important as training days; THESE ARE ESSENTIAL REST DAYS. JUST DO IT!

I hope you guys find these 5 commandments useful as you physically prepare for what you've been training to do.

Good Luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Motivation: Good Week

But really, isn't every week? Life is what you make it despite the ups and downs we face. Leave whatever struggles and hardships this past week brought you. It's last week, we have to look ahead of us. Ever try looking backwards while running? You're not as focused on going forward. And isn't that why you're running in the first place? So make this week a good week that you can reflect on and be proud of. Welcome the challenges. Crush those goals. Be mindful. Enjoy the little moments. And damnit, smile all the way through.  Have a good week!

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support