Skip to main content

5 Things I Love About Running



I have a love-hate relationship with running. I think most people can say the same about themselves and their own hobbies/lifestyles. But for now, let's just stick with the positives:


5 Things I Love About Running


1. The feeling of knowing I am better than I was yesterday




Never ever did I think I would be a runner in high school. Even when I was running regularly, I wasn't doing it for the love of the sport. Then in college when I stopped running, I doubted ever picking it up again. Now, I look back and think, "Damn girl, you showed you." Seeing how far I have progressed and how I've become a runner in itself energizes me to keep going out there.



2. Being exhausted



When am I not exhausted actually? I work too much, sleep too little, and from what my non-running friends say - run wayyyyy too much. But there is a whole new exhaustion felt when you finish your run. No matter if its 1 mile or 10 miles, the body is tired more than it was before. As someone who pushes through the heavy eye-lids and mental exhaustion, being physically drained makes feeling tired more tangible and not-so-easy to just push through.



3. The clothes




I live for sports bras and anything non-jeans. My job doesn't have a dress code, and actually encourages us to wear clothes that we are able to move better in. If I can get dressed in the clothes I'm planning on running in that day anyway, that's more day in between laundry days. And the conformability is irresistible!




4. Seeing my body be fit



This might be back to #1, but this is more about my physical condition less-so than my mental condition. Physically, I weigh the same as I did before I began running. But my resting heart rate ranges anywhere from 49-50 BPM. The average adult ranges anywhere from 60-100 BPM. I am not underweight (many people underweight develop low heart rates) by any means whatsoever, but my heart is just that conditioned that it doesn't need to pump as fast. My VO2 Max (maximal oxygen consumption) is currently 52. For those of you who don't know, your VO2 Max measures of your body's ability to generate ATP, and ATP is the energy source that allows your muscles to continue working while you are exercising. Therefore, by definition, a VO2max measurement is ultimately a measure of your cardiorespiratory fitness level. Olympians run around the high 50s and into the 60s; I must be doing something right if my level is that high!



5. It's my therapy



When I have a shitty day at work or something is going on in life that stresses me out, I am eager to get out and run. In that timeframe, it is just me, my music, and the pavement. The exhaustion grounds me and levels out my stress so I can handle what is going on effectively. And if I were to make whatever made my day so bad tangible, I am able to stomp it out with every strike to the ground. Not that I'm stomping for 4 miles (I feel like my form would be totally off), but I am just releasing all the ill feelings with every step and every drop of sweat.







I'd love to hear what makes you love your hobbies in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

PGH 5K Race Recap

Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend for all the photos! This was the first 5K I've done since Fall of 2012. Not that I've avoided 5Ks, but just always put the focus on adding mileage and not really speed training. Last week I received an email that they extended the sign-up for the UPMC Health Plan 5K, and decided to just go with it. To be quite frank, I only did it because I saw that doing the 5K and either the Half or Full Marathon meant you were participating in the Steel Challenge. I saw "challenge" and couldn't pass that up. Competitive much? Medals just steel-ing the spotlight However, I wasn't feeling completely confident in myself about this run. I told myself I should take it as a shakeout run before the Half. Well, after a speedy 3 miles the other day, I found the courage to make this a race worth racing for. IG post after completing 3 miles in 22:04 (there were some stops along the way) I had tremendous support

Race Recap: EQT 10 Miler

GUYS! If you're in the Pittsburgh area (and run), you have GOT to run this race! It's like the Pittsburgh Marathon of the Fall. There is so much energy and excitement before and during this race; it's electric! Okay, I'll try to contain myself as I write this. But really, can you blame me? Just ruining the ending for ya, but... THIS GIRL GOT A PR! And the reason I'm extra excited about this? Because I literally just got back into running mid-September. I will make a separate blog post about this transition, but for now, lets talk about the race! Expo: The expo was quite small, tucked inside the shops at Station Square. But I did get to finally meet up with my girl Jen and her NEW husband after not seeing her since the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K! I'm so inspired by her and was so excited to finally meet up with her and run. Jen and I first meeting at the Pittsburgh Marathon 5K Race Morning: So my boss texted m