Skip to main content

Race Week is Here!

It is finally here!!! I have been dreaming of this week for a year now, and it is finally here!!!!




Why I've been waiting a year? Well, I decided in January of 2016 that I wanted to be able to say that I ran a half marathon. So, I trained for the 2016 Pittsburgh Half. However, I didn't have the slightest clue how to train. So I just ran and ran and ran, and ended up with a LOVELY stress fracture in my tibia two weeks before race day. Needless to say, I did not run the 2016 PGH Half Marathon. Spring forward to now, I feel more than ready to crush this.

First post last year of me attempting to get into running!



If I wasn't feeling powered up enough already, I last minute signed up to be a part of the Steel Challenge - I'll be doing the 5K on Saturday as well as the half on Sunday. There's a huge part of me that really wants to compete in the 5K, but then a more realistic part of me knows that I shouldn't push too hard, because it could really hurt me for Sunday. But honestly, if my dreams don't scare me, then are they really big enough?

First 5K I ever did back in 2012!


This week is the final taper. I am struggling so hard to actually taper. I love running, and being forced to run less is quite nerve-racking. So instead, I'll be getting in a bunch of yoga to loosen up for the big day, as well as eat and hydrate like woah! The taper struggle is reallllllll, but I did manage a good slow run/walk with my boyfriend on Sunday.


I got him to run at least 2 of the 3 miles we did!



This weeks plan:


Monday: rest
Tuesday: Hot Yoga
Wednesday: Hot Yoga or 4 miles (yes, I haven't completely decided yet)
Thursday: rest
Friday: Hot Yoga
Saturday: 5K
Sunday: HALF MARATHON BABY




Good luck to all my friends tapering for the big day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday Motivation: Good Week

But really, isn't every week? Life is what you make it despite the ups and downs we face. Leave whatever struggles and hardships this past week brought you. It's last week, we have to look ahead of us. Ever try looking backwards while running? You're not as focused on going forward. And isn't that why you're running in the first place? So make this week a good week that you can reflect on and be proud of. Welcome the challenges. Crush those goals. Be mindful. Enjoy the little moments. And damnit, smile all the way through.  Have a good week!

5 Helpful Tips for Summer Marathon Training

My first marathon is in September. When I picked the marathon, I chose Erie because it was close to home and because it was the last weekend for Boston Qualifying submissions for 2018. I did not, however, completely consider that it would mean training all summer. Oops. As someone who does not handle the heat well, I've compiled a five helpful tips that I plan to use to help combat summer training for fall marathon season. 1. Always Check the Weather I do this all year round, but this is especially critical for me for the summer. Last summer, I was training for my first half marathon, and I found myself running late at night because those times had the lowest temperatures. I've also found the early mornings to be great since the sun hasn't boiled the ground yet either. ... unless you like the heat... you crazy heat people... It's also good to see how the weather is going to be a few days out. If your training is a little flexible, th

Starting a blog?! But I'm not a writer...

I'm not great with words. There, I said it. Put me in a college Calculus class or in Biology, I'll do just fine. Put me in an 11th grade English and Writing class... yeah I'll hyperventilate... a lot. However!!! I have a lot to say, and a lot to say about my running journey at that. I'm a full year into falling in love with running all over again, and I felt it was time to just tighten my shoelaces and start writing. I have met so many people from the running community through my Instagram @runningawayfromadulting, and viewing their blogs only brought me closer to desiring to start my own. There's also a character limit on IG, sooooooo... To those who are reading this, I am NOT AN EXPERT and will never claim to be. Blogging for me is a space to vent to whomever wants to listen, to encourage others as they continue their own fitness journeys, to share my triumphs and failures, and so much more. This space will not tolerate negativity, condescending attitudes, or